This is a day trip available from Medellín
Guatapé is a small and colourful town in Antioquia, about 90kms from Medellín. It is a trading post for the small famrs in the area and increasingly a popular destination for tourism. It is particularly noted for its bright and elaborate decorations that adorn its houses. The decorations currently celebrate the bicentenary of the Republic of Colombia.
El Peñón de Guatapé, often mistakenly called El Peñol is a giant monolith reaching a peak of 2135m above sea level. The rock was formed some 70 million years ago. In the one of the rock breaks, a stairway of 649 steps has been built to reach the rock’s peak. Once at the peak the visitor is afforded spectacular views across the former valley. The valley was flooded to form a hydro-electric dam and the result is a half natural, half man-made site that has the appearance of islets in a lake with a 500km shoreline.
Our tour includes pick-up from your accommodation in Medellín and private transport to the town of Guatapé via the villages of Las Palmas, Fizebad and Llano Grande. Your guide will take you on a walking tour of Guatapé including Malecón, Memory Lane and the Home of the Horseman. You will visit El Peñón and have the chance to climb the 649 steps. The tour also visits the church of Nuevo Peñol.
- Alongside Santa Fé de Antioquia and Puente de Occidente, Guatapé and El Peñón is one of the must-see tours from Medellín
- A unique site for the geopgrapher within, Colombia depends heavily on hydro-electric generation and this is a great chance to see it in action and to witness for yourself the fascinating landscapes created by this activity.
When you see a price on our website then it is a real trip or tour that can be booked, not an unrealistically low price to lure you into contacting us. Our company policy is that for each and every tour we identify exactly what is included in the stated price.
The price stated on this page includes the following
- Prices based on a party of at least 3 people, discounts available for larger groups.
- Transportation from Medellín with a private Spanish speaking driver/guide. Please ask for prices for an English speaking guide
- A guided walking tour of Guatapé town
- Entrance to El Peñón is included for each guest
- Include a canopy/zipline adventure
Use our contact form to reserve a tour