This walking tour is available in Popayán
Popayán really is the jewel of the south, known as the White City, its elegant whitewashed colonial buildings define this beautiful city nestled in the rolling green hills of the Valle de Cacuca department.
Centred around its bustling university life, the focal point of the city is the immaculate Parque Caldas plaza with its streetlife, neatly manicured gardens and public seating. The plaza is the perfect setting to wile away the hours and blend in to the cityscape whilst marvelling at the impressive backdrop of the Cathedral of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción.
On a clear day, it is possible to see the snowy peak of Volcán de Puracé from the town.
Flanking the old town are two hills, a pyramid shaped hill called El Morro de Tulcán with a sculpture of the city’s founder Sebastian de Bélalcazar, El Morro de Tulcán affords the visitor a spectacular panorama across the old city. Adjacent to El Morro de Tulcán is a smaller hill which plays host to Capilla de Belén.
Your guide will meet you at your hotel to commence your walking tour of Popayán’s historic city centre. Your tour will take in all the major sights of the old city including beautiful churches such as Iglesia San Francisco and Iglesia La Ermita. It will also include a visit to Casa Mosquera, an old colonial mansion where Colombia’s liberator Simón Bolívar stayed in Popayán. Of course your tour will also include an ascent to the peak of El Morro del Tulcán to take in the spectacular vistas across the city.
The ideal group size is 2 to 8 persons but of course larger groups and individuals can be accommodated on request.
- Popayán really is the jewel of the south, an imposing colonial city of equal standing with Cartagena, Mompox and Villa de Leyva
- Our Popayán walking tour is the perfect way to make the most of this enchanting city
- Check out some of the local delicacies including empanadas de pipián, a local variation of the empanada including potato, egg and peanuts, and the local ají de maní, a spicy peanut sauce.
The price stated on this page includes the following
- Price per person based on a group of 4 people
- A German or English speaking guide
Use our contact form to book your walking tour of Popayán